LITERACY at QUAKERS HILL PUBLIC SCHOOL
What is LITERACY?
Literacy is the ability to understand and evaluate meaning through reading, writing, listening and speaking, viewing and representing.
HOW MUCH TIME IS SPENT TEACHING LITERACY?
A minimum of 6.5 hours per week is allocated to teach aspects of literacy.
What ARE SOME OF THE TOPICS taught in literacy?
o reading a variety of texts
o understanding texts
o Writing different types of text
o Grammar and Punctuation
Speaking and Listening
o How to effectively communicate with others
KINDERGARTEN LITERACY PROGRAMS AT QUAKERS HILL
- Jolly Phonics
- Literacy and/or reading groups
- Accelerated Literacy – writing program
- Sight Words
- Home Reading
- Speech Pack
HOW WILL MY CHILD LEARN TO READ AND WRITE?
Jolly Phonics teaches 42 sounds in a fun way that allows children to use them to read and write words.
5 BASIC SKILLS EMPHASISED IN JOLLY PHONICS ARE:
- Learning the letter sounds
- Learning letter formation
- Identifying sounds in words (s-a-t)
- Spelling irregular or ‘tricky’ words – words that cannot be sounded out (said, was, the)
Did you know?
Children should learn each letter by its SOUND, not its name.
WHAT CAN I DO AT HOME TO SUPPORT LITERACY DEVELOPMENT?
Read.. Read.. and Read some more!